Deadline: September 4, 2016
Award giving location: Buckingham Palace, London, England
The Queen’s Young Leaders programme discovers, celebrates and supports exceptional young people from across the commonwealth, leaving a lasting legacy for her majesty the queen.
The Queen’s Young Leader Award recognises and celebrates exceptional people aged 18-29 from across the Commonwealth, who are taking the lead in their communities and using their skills to transform lives. Winners of this prestigious Award will receive a unique package of training, mentoring and networking, including a one-week residential programme in the UK during which they will collect their Award from Her Majesty The Queen. With this support, Award winners will be expected to continue and develop the amazing work they are already doing in their communities. Applications are now closed and will reopen in June 2016.
As well as awarding inspirational young people, Queen’s Young Leaders Grants will be made to organisations in selected Commonwealth countries that can show they are improving the lives of young people. Our vision is to provide opportunities for young people to learn new skills, enter employment and give them a voice in their communities. All our funding has now been allocated and applications for grants are closed.
The Queen’s Young Leader Award Scheme:
Queen’s Young Leaders is looking to award exceptional young people who’ve proved themselves to be inspiring leaders in their communities. Many of whom will have overcome challenges in their lives to do so.
This unique, life-changing Award is comprised of a tailored package of training and mentoring. Winners will also receive a one-week residential programme in the UK, during which they will receive their Award from Her Majesty The Queen.
With this support, Award winners will be expected to continue and develop the amazing work they are already doing in their communities.
Each application/nomination must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants need to have proven experience of working to improve their communities locally, regionally or at a national level and be able to show evidence of their achievements.
- Applicants must be aged between 18 and 29 throughout 2017; your date of birth must fall between 1st January 1988 – 1st January 1999;
- Applicants must be citizens of and working in a Commonwealth country or citizens of an Overseas Territories (of a Commonwealth Member).
- Applicants need to demonstrate evidence of their leadership qualities.
- All applicants need to be supported by a suitable referee (a professional in one of the following occupations; a teacher or counsellor; a registered physician or nurse; a church or community leader; social worker or family services; or business leader). Referees must not be related to you.
- Priority will be given to individuals who have overcome challenges to achieve their goals.
All applications/nominations will be considered based on the young person’s achievements to date as well as their potential and future ambition. Award winners will be shortlisted by an Advisory Panel made up of young people from across the Commonwealth and a Board of advisors representing the three partners. The shortlist for Award winners will then be presented to The Queen’s Young Leaders Programme Board, which contains members from all three partner organisations, for final selection and decision.
What will an Award winner receive?
- As a Queen’s Young Leader you will be allocated a mentor with relevant experience and expertise who will support you over the course of the year to continue and develop your work;
- Online learning;
- Online learning will be provided with materials relevant to your area of interest, as well as serving as a place for you to meet and share experiences and knowledge with other Queen’s Young Leaders;
- One-week residential programme in the UK;
- The Award winners will have the opportunity to meet with inspiring people and visit organisations in the UK that have expertise in areas such as media and communications, social action and advocacy. During this week, Awards will be presented by Her Majesty The Queen at Buckingham Palace.
More info HERE