Open to participants from all around the globe.
Application deadline- April 8, 2022
Young Leaders for the SDGs is an initiative of the Office of the Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth.
About the ‘Young Leaders for the SDGs’ Flagship Initiative:
On a biennial basis, 17 outstanding young leaders from across various sectors are recognized for their agency, courage and ingenuity in finding lasting solutions to the world’s greatest challenges.
Throughout the two-year term, these Young Leaders will engage young people for the 2030 Agenda, not only through their existing initiatives, platforms and networks but through advocacy opportunities with the United Nations and its partners.
Becoming a Young Leader is a title of recognition from the United Nations for young people who are excelling in their contributions to helping deliver on the SDGs in their communities.
Applications for the 2022 Class are now open and will close on 31 March 2022! Young people from all over the world between the ages of 15 and 29 years are encouraged to apply.
Young leaders actively support the following objectives:
– Advocate – Advocate for the SDGs in ways most accessible and relevant to young people across different contexts
– Build – Contribute to a brain trust of young leaders supporting the UN and partners for key moments and initiatives related to the SDGs
– Engage – Promote innovative ways of engaging their audiences and peers in the advocacy and realization of the SDGs
Candidates are selected based on the following criteria:
– Leadership – Ability to influence and motivate others;
– Scalability – Potential to benefit others beyond their current scope of impact;
– Innovation – Uniqueness and ingenuity;
– Presentation – Inspire and motivate others through storytelling;
– Impact – Measurable outcomes directly linked to their work.
Other factors that are taken into consideration are:
– Achievement – Commitment to promoting and advancing key areas of the SDGs;
– Integrity – Commitment to core values of the United Nations;
– Influence – Commitment to inclusive and innovative leadership.
About the Young Leaders for the SDGs
Every two years, 17 young change-makers are recognized for their leadership and contribution to a more sustainable world
On September 19, 2016, the Office of the UN Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth unveiled the inaugural class of the Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals – 17 young change-makers whose leadership is catalyzing the achievement of the Goals.
From food to fashion to finance, the Young Leaders for the SDGs come from many different backgrounds, represent every region in the world and help young people worldwide in support of the Goals.
Convened by the Envoy on Youth, the Young Leaders for the SDGs are recognized for their leadership and contribution to a more sustainable world.
As a community, they work to support efforts to engage young people in the realization of the SDGs both through strategic opportunities with the UN and through their existing initiatives, platforms and networks.
The Young Leaders for the SDGs support one or more of the following:
– Promote innovative ways of engaging their audiences and peers in the advocacy and realization of the Goals;
– Advocate for the Goals, in ways most accessible and relatable to young people across different contexts;
– Contribute to a brain trust of young leaders supporting the UN and partners for key moments and initiatives related to the Goals.
More information HERE